Sunday, June 13, 2010

From April 30, 2010

To save repeating the message over and over....here's the details! First of all I am pleasantly surprised with my findings today and came out with options!

Lutheran Family Childrens Services is a non-profit, christian based adoption/foster agency in Springfield which also serves families in St Louis, KC, Columbia and Cape Girardeau. The social worker that I met with today was very informative and handles only the domestic agency adoptions. There are 2 other SW that cover state adoptions and international adoptions.

Basically I found out the following: 3 types of adoptions:
1. Domestic: usually means infants at birth. Because I am single, my option would not include healthy white babies. I am not eligible for this "pool" of adoptive parents, I am only eligible for multi-racial babies. Which is a smaller pool of adoptive parents and have an increased chance of receiving a child but probably from another part of the state such as St Louis. Cost is based on income and my range is $12-13,000 which is paid in stages. $1500 for a home study (1st phase-3 month process) then the first 1/3 of the remainder of the cost when my name goes in the pool and then the final 2/3 when placement is made. All is non-refundable. Waiting time is hard to tell. there were 22 placements last year from the Springfield office and 1/2 were for the non-caucasian group. Birth parents/mother are the ones that choose the adoptive parents from case studies they are given.

2. International - works with agencies across the world. Basically you pick the countrie(s) you are interested in and see what their requirements are for single family adoptions. Fees vary and it usually is quicker to get placement, however in some countries you have to go to the country to "live" for up to 3 weeks before placement. agency places the match for the adoptive parent/child.

3. State - this is the one I was most mis-informed about and what I came out of the meeting with the most promise. First of all there are ZERO fees. The children that are available are free of parents and the state matches the adoptive family up with the child through a long process of classes that are required as well as what the adoptive families are interested in. What I learned is that not all these children have "needs" such as physical impairments. Because of the situation, they have been removed from their home life for emotional, environmental, physical or abusive reasons. but not all of them are severe. there are no limitation for being single and adopting through the state. and not all children are bi-racial, however that is the majority. As of right now, the state is not accepting any more applications for children 0-4. I went in saying that I wanted a child 5 and under so that still allows me to be eligible for a 5-6 year old, which I am fine with. The process is often times shorter for placement. In order to be considered, one must take 2 classes the first being the STAR class. this actually begins June 8 and its for 3 hours every tuesday night for a total of 32 hours. Then there is another class for 2 saturdays that follows that. So the timing is perfect!

What did I come out of this with? I kinda felt guilty because I am able to have a child, but I am chosing to go through adoption, so am I taking away an opportunity for an infertile family. She said ABSOLUTELY NOT. Because I am single, I am not "eligible" for a white infant and that is where the majority of the infertile couples in springfield want. The bi-racial pool of adoptive parents are made up of families with 2 or more children and that are interested in adding another to their home and single parent adoptions. So I was relieved.

Next step: I am going to call Amanda on Monday and schedule a time to meet with her about state adoptions! we will see where this leads! I put on my facebook this morning.....TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!" I think that is fitting for this situation!

Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment