Sunday, June 13, 2010

From May 21........

Hello all.......... Well as I figured....I cleaned the house and lit the candles for no real reason, other than my house looks amazing and smells good! The social worker came in and sat at the dining room table and left.....no house tour!!!!!!!!! And let me just say my two 4 legged critters were very hospitable to her! Big warm greetings of course!

Today was really about paperwork and the "process" going forward. STAR classes start on June 8 and go for 3 weeks on and take a week off for June-August and then there are 2 other all day classes that I will be required to take for adoption only that will be held at the end of august or beginning of september.

New information that I did find out today that frankly shocks me! As an adoptive parent, choosing to adopt through the state of Missouri foster care program, once a child is placed in my home (after a match has been made and the 6 month waiting period begins) each pre-adoptive parent is considered a foster parent until that its official. During that time, based on the child(ren) age, a maintenance fee will be paid to the parent per month/per child, on top of all daycare is paid for and the childs healthcare is taken care of through Missouri Health Net (a form of medicaid). Once the adoption is finalized, an adoption subsidy is paid to the adoptive parent till the child is 18, which is a little bit less than the maintenance fee, but daycare allowance and health insurance is still paid for. They encourage that the child is placed on the adoptive parents insurance and then using medicaid as a secondary insurance.

Not much else to report. Will be anxious to learn and start classes in a couple of weeks. There will be 5 families and myself (6 groups total) in the class so that will be great to network with other people with my same interests in becoming a parent. Thanks again for your prayers and support! This is the FIRST of many small steps.........to a BIG reward!

No comments:

Post a Comment