Sunday, June 13, 2010

From June 9........

Hello all... Well I survived the first night of classes! I have to admit, I was very nervous walking in alone, but the group was very kind.

During introductions, I decided to be the "comic" of the group and make a joke about being the only single person there. Everyone chuckled and a lady even remarked that what I was doing as a single person is remarkable!

Basically class tonight was orientation and going over Objectives for the 9 week course and then talking about the 2 additional courses I will be required to take to complete the home study for adoption. I learned alot about being a foster parent tonight! I makes a person "think" about it. The goal is to re-unify children with their parents, and that is what I think would be difficult, especially if I was to have a child in my home for a year or more! An average foster placement is 16 months minimum! I'm still not convinced that is for me...My heart would have difficulty letting go and becoming attached! So all in all, I learned tonight that the goal of the class is to "place a child in a caring home for the benefit of the child" NOT "placing a child in the home for the fulfillment of the parent" Interesting thought and I agree! It was a GREAT evening, working on the small baby steps to a BIG DREAM! Thanks for taking this road with me......

No comments:

Post a Comment